All the towels produced in Imabari are not labeled "Certified imabari towel products" Only products meeting certain strict criteria are labeled "Certified imabari towel".
|Test Items||Test Methods||Judgment Standards|
|Characteristics of Towel||Absorbency||JS-L1907 / Sedimentation||Within 5 seconds（Must pass both before being washed and after being washed three times）|
|Rate of thread removal
||JS-L0217 / "How to wash: Rule-137"（Towel Examination Rules）||Piles: less than 0.2% Non-twisted threads: less than 0.5% Shirring: less than 0.4%|
|Pile retention strength||（Towel Examination Rules）||More than BT・KT 2.45 cN / pile More than FT・WT 2.16 cN / pile|
|Strength of dye||Resistance to light||JIS-L0842 / Carbon Arc Method||More than 4 degrees （More than 3 degrees for pastels and vivid colors）|
|Resistance to being washed||JIS-L0844 / A- No.2 Method||More than 4 degrees for discoloration More than 4 degrees for stains|
|Resistance to sweat||JIS-L0848||More than 4 degrees for discoloration More than 3-4 degrees for stains|
|Resistance to friction||JIS-L0849 /（Type Ⅱ）||More than 4 degrees for dryness More than 2-3 degrees for moisture （For dark colors and pigment coloring, 0.5 degrees below the levels mentioned above）|
|Strength of towel cloth||Strength to withstand being pulled out||JIS-L1096 （Rule A） / （Labeled-Strip-Rule）||More than 147N for length More than 196N for width|
|Tensile strength||JIS-L1096 （Rule A） / Mullen Form-Rule||
More than 392.3KPa
|Size change rate||LIS-L1096 （Rule G） / By electric washing machine||Within 7%|
|Rolled edge section slip resistance||JIS-L1096 (Towel Examination Rules)
Slip-resistant pin hooking method
|Lengthwise: 20 N or more
Widthwise: 30 N or more
|Organic substance||Formaldehyde content||Health & Welfare Ministry- Rule No. 34
|Less than A-A0 0.03|
- Absorbency testing is carried out regardless of material. Even if the product fails sedimentation testing, a result of 1 second or less on the liquid dropping tests (tested twice: once before it has been washed and once after it has been washed three times) means the material has passed. For pigment-colored products, a Certificate of Pigment Coloring Area Ratio must be submitted. The washing method for absorbency testing entails washing three times followed by drying in a clothes dryer.
- Thread removal rate testing for processed products (with the exception of pile, non-twisted threads and shirring), and for non-cotton products, is carried out by an independent testing organization. This independent organization reports test results to us, and through joint deliberation we make a pass/fail determination together.
- For handkerchiefs, products with gauze backing, and towel-fabric scarves, pile retention strength testing is carried out according to testing method JIS-L1075 Rule B (pile retention strength testing), with conditions for passing being 500 mN or more.
- Color fastness testing is carried out for all dyed products including organic (colored) cotton. Products that have been scoured and bleached only are exempted from color fastness testing.
- Tensile strength examination： A test of towel scarves without piles should yield results of more than 98N and should take the type of material into consideration. However, a warning label must be attached to the towel.
- When 0.03 free formaldehyde absorbance difference is converted to ppm, it should be equivalent to less than 9.6ppm.
- Regarding rate of dimensional change for woven towel products with gauze weaving and/or elastic material (hard-twisted threads, Spandex, etc.), reference values are not applicable.